Simply Country Seasons


Friday, December 4, 2009

For Your Feathered Friends

Do you like to keep your bird feeders full and your birds healthy and happy at your house?

I just love seeing all of the birds that come to visit…………The Cardinals, Blue Jays, Chickadees, and yes, even the Sparrows.

 

I decided to search for a suet recipe and here’s what I found.

For this recipe you will need:

saucepan

solid shortening

peanut butter

corn meal

quick oats seeds or nuts

raisins or other dried fruits

bread crumbs if desired

December 2009 018

Place 1 cup of solid shortening and 1 cup of creamy peanut butter in a saucepan over very low heat. Stir until melted.

December 2009 014

To the melted shortening mixture, add 3 cups plain cornmeal. Mix thoroughly.

Stir in any combination of the following: quick oats, raisins, chopped apple, bird seed, bread crumbs, or dried berries. Stir until combined.

December 2009 016

Pour into a plastic container lined with aluminum foil. Place in the refrigerator cool.

December 2009 017

Once the suet is cooled and solid, slice into squares and place into your suet cage.

December 2009 026

Store any remaining squares in the refrigerator. Enjoy watching your feathered friends!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m still trying to finish up my Christmas Decorating.  It would go a lot faster for me if I would quit rearranging everything!

December 2009 007

December 2009 020

I hope to be back later in the weekend with some more photos.

 

10 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I like to roll pine cones in a mixture of peanut butter and veggie oil and then into bird seed and hang them from the trees. They love it!

Your hutch looks wonderful - love the yelloware and crocks.

Yankee Ridge Primitives said...

Hi Buddy!!!!

Thanks for this recipe, ive been buying suet by the case. Im going to make some this weekend and add in some orange and blueberries

Anonymous said...

Linda, thanks for the recipe! I have also done as Linda Behind My Red Door does. Bird watching is one of those simple pleasures.
Your hutch is awesome! You know I love the yellow ware bowls! And the jugs are great too! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your awesome decor!
Have a nice great weekend!

Terry said...

I've never tried making my own, but I think I will. Looks easy enough!
I too love your yellow ware, crocks, and the Santa and reindeer.
Cant' wait to see more!
Have a nice weekend!
Terry

Birgit said...

We're avid bird feeders and watchers too! I could sit there for hours watching them out the window (that's "cat TV" in our house). Thanks for the recipe. I usually buy suet at the meat counter but this sounds easy to make. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs~ Birgit

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks for stopping by and yes, it is here blowing winds and raining really hard and I even heard a clap of thunder. Just looked out the window and it's helling...crazy weather!

Love your decorating pictures and I'm like you I tweak to much too!
Rondell

ctlogcabin said...

Linda ~~ Thanks for sharing your recipe,
I will give it a try.
Love your cupboard, and Santa's.
I think we all enjoy decorating so much that we find reasons to keep "touching & moving" and are never really done till the 24th., when we run out of time. :-)
Hugs ~ Connie xox

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

What a neat recipe to keep in mind for the birdies. My kids would love watching them enjoy such a treat.

Your decorating is looking lovely, especially those beautiful yelloware, bowls.

I'd love to see what you do with your salt dough when you get to that little project...

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

I love your decorating, Linda and yes ~ you should get back to hooking!!!!! You'll love it! Thanks for the compliment on my new rug!! Merry Christmas!!!

Marie said...

Thanks for the recipe for the birds. I think I have everything to make this.